Saturday, September 12, 2009

Starting the New School Year at a New School




Meeting her new "best friend forever" Hannah











School has begun! My kids are at a new school since we moved to Sandy over the summer. A little trepidation, but they made it through the first day and loved it! Summer's first day she just met her teacher and then the next day was the official first day for the first graders. I asked her about her teacher after school and she said, "I like her, hey mom, what does 'strict' mean?" I told her and she said, "Yeah, she's strict." Well, I have since volunteered in the class and she ain't kiddin'! There were some other personality traits I wasn't enjoying in the teacher for the hour I was there, and I must say, we MAY be switching teachers soon. I'll volunteer one more time and if it's not better, we're outta' there!



Jackson said he made some new friends the first day and that all the kids were "Super nice and introducing themselves to me." He campaigned for student council (against 90 other kids bc they got extra credit for trying out) and he made it! They chose 5 from each class. He's in 6th grade, this is the only time all of my kids will be in the same school for the same amount of time everyday. Next year, Jackson will be across the big field at the Middle School, it's right next to the elementary school.

Collin was so nervous starting 3rd grade in a new school, he even had some tummy issues in the morning, (unusual for my kids) but still wanted to go. He has since made lots of friends (as usual) and the kids in his class even voted him Student of the Week this week! He has a great, young teacher who is lots of fun.
So all in all, it's been great! Everyone is asking me what I am doing with all my "free time" now and I say, "All the same stuff I did before, I still do laundry, clean the dishes, kitchen, bathrooms, floors, go to the store...just without the kids!" It is less chaotic, and it's great, I love 'em even more when they show up at the end of the day! (I will admit, I'm doing my fair share of lunching out too!)





The pics are with my cell phone, I didn't want to be too obvious with my big elaborate camera and embarrass my kids at "the new school." I only have inside the classroom pics of Summer, the boys are too big to be embarrassed like that!





2 comments:

Lanae said...

Oh good! I'm glad the kids like their new school; hopefully you can find a new teacher who's not so rigid.
And hopefully we can all get to see a little more of you :-)
Jordan started preschool a few weeks ago and he loves it, but I'm finding out that he's not as chipper at 7:30 AM (the PM class might have been the better option),but I'm sure he'll adjust to the new schedule soon enough.
See you soon!

Carli said...

I am glad they were able to make friends. Kids seem to be pretty mean, i really notice it now that i have young ones. I cannot believe that you will have a seventh grader next year. They do grow up fast!